Starcrash is a 1978 Italian-made space opera directed by Luigi Cozzi (aka Lewis Coates). It stars Caroline Munro and Marjoe Gortner as rogue space travelers who help a kindly Emperor (Christopher Plummer) defeat an evil usurper. It was co-written by Cozzi and Nat Wachsberger (one of the producers), with additional dialogue by R.A. Dillon. Music is by John Barry.
Starcrash is one of several sci-fi/space opera-type films that were made in the late 1970s/early 1980s in an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Star Wars.
- Caroline Munro - Stella Star
- Marjoe Gortner - Akton
- Judd Hamilton - The Robot Elle
- Christopher Plummer - The Emperor
- David Hasselhoff - Prince Simon
- Robert Tessier - Thor
- Hamilton Camp - voice of Elle
- Joe Spinell - Count Zarth Arn
- Nadia Cassini - Corelia
- As was common practice for European films at the time, most of the film was not shot with sync-sound, the dialogue to be dubbed later. As a cost cutting measure, Caroline Munro was not flown to Los Angeles for the recording sessions. Instead, Stella Star's voice was recorded by Marjoe Gortner's then-wife, actress Candy Clark.
- Starcrash was distributed in America by New World Pictures, a company owned by Roger Corman. Corman insisted on edits adding up to over five minutes of footage in an effort to improve the pace and clarity of the film.