|1001 - Soultaker|
|Air Date||April 11, 1999|
|MST3K Director||Kevin Murphy|
|Movie Director||Michael Rissi|
|Cast|| Joe Estevez|
|Preceded by||913 - Quest of the Delta Knights|
|Followed by||1002 - Girl in Gold Boots|
|“||We are planning to rock.||”|
SynopsisThe Angel of Death / (aka "The Chin Reaper") (Z'Dar) materializes at Summerfest and points out five teens (Brad, Candice, Natalie, Tommy, and Zack) whose time on Earth is up. His "soul trainee" assistant (Soultaker - Joe Estevez), a mysterious pedestrian outiftted in a snazzy black ensemble complete with long coat, is charged with collecting their souls by midnight; if he fails, he must "pay the penalty". Along the way, though, he "must obey the laws of time and space" (quantum field theory and general relativity?).
What, exactly, is the "penalty" Soultaker will pay if he fails? Will Natalie accept the "special offer" Soultaker has for her? Will Zack and Natalie overcome their class differences and get back together?
- Vivian Schilling who appears as Natalie in the film, wrote some of the story.
- The P.A. announcements in the opening scene are also used in Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime album and in Naughty By Nature's Everything's Gonna Be Alright.
- Won a Saturn Award in 1992 for Best Genre Video Release.
- Prologue: The bots are confused about why their "wet T-shirt contest" is so dull; commercial sign malfunctions.
- Segment One: The malfunctions on the SOL get worse, as a certain figure can barely be seen and heard behind the transmission of an image of Martin Van Buren; Pearl doesn't care.
- Segment Three: Everything goes wrong on the SOL, but nobody in Castle Forrester can help because a soultaker has appeared--and it's TV'S FRANK - who is amazed by Pearl's food from Taco Bell! Meanwhile, a mysterious ship saves the SOL from crashing.
- Segment Four: The mysterious visitor who saved the SOL appears on the bridge--and it's JOEL! He fills in the bots on what he's been up to, and he and Mike share a tender moment.
- Segment Five: Joel completes repairs on the SOL, says hi to Frank, and departs with some uplifting words to Mike & the Bots; in Castle Forrester, Bobo and Frank hit it off.
- Stinger: Mom ogles her daughter.
Quotes and References
- "Welcome... to the Satellite of Love!"
- "Pearl! Pearl! Hello? Our wessel is malfunctioning!"
- "Johnny Cash! Johnny Cash! Johnny Cash! Johnny Cash!"
The country-western singer Johnny Cash wore similar black overcoats to the Soultakers in the film.
- "Because you're mine, I walk to the intensive care unit..."
This is a play on the lyrics of Johnny Cash's 1956 song, "I Walk the Line."
- "The death of Helmut Kohl!"
Helmut Kohl was the chancellor of Germany (originally West Germany) from 1982 to 1998.
- "Yamiglanchi!" "Yamiglanchi! ""Yamiglanchi!"
Tom is a referencing Werewolf, a film starring Joe Estevez and that was previously riffed by the crew on the show.
- "The Sooooooooooooooouuuuultaker!"
- "Where's David Byrne's head?"
- "David Byrne was right. Heaven is a place WHERE NOTHING EVER HAPPENS!"
- "Hey, Jim McMahon!"
- "Hey by the way, do you wear your sunglasses at night, so you can, so you can, keep track of the visions in your dreams?'"
A reference to the lyrics of the hit 1984 song by Canadian singer Corey Hart, "Sunglasses at Night."
- "Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry..."
Quoted from "Surrey with the Fringe on Top", a song from the musical Oklahoma!.
- "Hey - I really do walk the line!"
Another reference to the fact that Estevez's outfit makes him look like Johnny Cash, and to Cash's song, "I Walk the Line." (See above.)
- "They are, in fact, traveling down the road, and they are, in fact, flirting with disaster!"
A reference to the Molly Hatchet song "Flirtin' with Disaster".
- "Hey, it's Hamilton Jordan!"
- "Now I'll never win that set of steak knives"
A reference to the second place award in the Pultizer-winning David Mamet play and the movie Glengarry Glen Ross . First place was a Cadillac Eldorado, third place was being fired.
- "Frank Booth-cam!"
- "Why, it's Harvey! Hi, Harvey!"
- Mother (in a tiny voice)
Signature line of Daffy Duck when confronting immediate catastrophe
- "Ennio Morricone!"
- "Zack is dead!" "That's what I said!"
- "...the band Man or Astro-man?..."
- Tom Servo's advising Mike to not compare himself to Joel is a reference to the heated internet flame wars that occurred between fans, back when Mike replaced Joel as host. The debates often got vicious and ugly, though they have since faded within the community.
- "Prudential signs!"
Crow is commenting on the resemblance of the heart monitor's pattern to the logo of the Prudential insurance company.
- "Wheeling Captain Pike down the hall!"
- "The Other Side of the Mountain...of Crap!"
- "Unfortunately, it's Christine!"
Christine is a Stephen King novel about a possessed 1958 Plymouth Fury.
- "My nephew was in the Mighty Ducks!"
- The Man: "It's closing time" | Tom Servo: "Does that mean every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end?"
This is reference to the song Closing Time by Semisonic.
|preceded by: Season 9||MST3K Season 10||followed by: --|
|1001||Soultaker||1999-04-11||1006||Boggy Creek II: and the Legend Continues…||1999-05-09||1011||Horrors of Spider Island||1999-07-25|
|1002||Girl in Gold Boots||1999-04-18||1007||Track of the Moon Beast||1999-06-13||1012||Squirm||1999-08-01|
|1003||Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders||1999-09-12||1008||Final Justice||1999-06-20||1013||Diabolik||1999-08-08|
|1005||Blood Waters of Dr. Z||1999-05-02||1010||It Lives by Night||1999-07-18|