|504 - Secret Agent Super Dragon|
|Air Date||August 7, 1993|
|MST3K Director||Trace Beaulieu|
|AKA|| New York Chiama Superdrago;|
New York Calling Superdragon;
New York Calls Superdragon;
|Movie Director||Giorgio Ferroni|
|Cast|| Ray Danton|
|Preceded by||503 - Swamp Diamonds|
|Followed by||505 - The Magic Voyage of Sinbad|
|“||“Remind your engineers to use coasters on me.”||”|
When an old colleague is killed, Secret Agent Super Dragon comes out of retirement to investigate a case of poisoned chewing gum that leads inexplicably to an international crime syndicate planning to take over the world with psychotropic drugs smuggled in phony Ming vases.. This is the first Eurospy movie sent up by the SOL crew.
- This movie was the sequel to Code Name: Jaguar.
- Filmed in Amsterdam but set in Michigan, the film was released in the United States by United Screen Arts, a company created by actor Dale Robertson as a double feature with The One Eyed Soldiers.
Segment One (Invention Exchange): Down in Deep 13, Dr. F is away at a class reunion. Frank is flying solo and comes up with Virtual Comedy. Dr. F returns in time to inject a bit of realism to Frank's virtual stand-up gig, whereupon the SOL crew present microscope slide Micro-Golf.
Segment Two: Tom's jazzy "Secret Agent Super Dragon" theme certainly isn't commercial and is mildly repetitive, but Joel knows just how to spice it up.
Segment Three: Joel & the Bots read through Crow's latest screenplay: "The Spy Who Hugged Me", a sensitive 90's style film.
Segment Four: Joel & the Bots discuss the vital nature of spy-movie post-kill puns.
Segment Five: Dr. Forrester has a supervillain conference call with the Satellite of Love, teaching the basics of starting up your own supervillain franchise.
Stinger: Henchman jumps Super Dragon, complete with xylophone accompaniment.
- “I killed that fat barkeep.” (The Beatniks)
- “Any talent to declare?” (Warrior of the Lost World)
- A mention of Ward E (Stranded in Space)
- “…but there was no monster” (Monster A-Go Go).
- "...Chy-Chy Rodrigweez."
During the Invention Exchange, Tom mis-pronounces the name of golfer Ch-Chi Rodriguez in the same manner as fictional news reporter Les Nessman (played by actor Richard Sanders) from the TV series WKRP in Cincinnati.
- (A fly buzzes around a car tire) "Help me! Help me!"
Reference to the 1958 science fiction film "The Fly".
- "If Fritz Hollings were Supermarionation."
Ernest Frederick "Fritz" Hollings was a Democratic senator from South Carolina. Supermarionation was a process created by Gerry Anderson to make especially elaborate marionettes, used most famously in the television show Thunderbirds.
- "Secret Agent Mary Kay!"
Mary Kay is a cosmetics store where the top saleswomen earn themselves a pink Cadillac, like the one in the movie.
- "Coleman smells something burning." "Well, they make stoves."
Coleman is a sporting goods company that specializes in camping gear, including camping stoves.
- "Bert Convy, P.I.!"
Bert Convy was an American TV game show host. Super Dragon looks a bit like him.
- "He's like a white trash Q!"
Q (short for "quartermaster") is the master gadget maker in the James Bond spy films.
- "You see, it's called The Family Circus. Billy drew the strip today."
The Family Circus is a one-panel comic strip created by Bil Keane. On certain occasions, 7-year-old caracter Billy will "draw" one of the daily strips.
- "Hey, it's Rula Lenska's place."
Nobody in the United States knows who Rula Lenska is.
- "Mario Cuomo?"
Mario Cuomo was a former governor of New York.
- "In that light, she looks just like Geddy Lee!"
Geddy Lee is the vocalist/bass player/keyboardist/sommelier for the prog-rock band Rush.
- "I think you need a rest in ward 'E'..."
In Stranded in Space (episode 305), "Ward E" is a mind control/lobotomy center (lobotomitarium?) where free-thinkers are sent; there is a similarity between the two interiors.
- "It's Herb from Burger King!"
The mysterious, nebbish-y Herb (who was supposedly the only man in America who had never eaten a Whopper sandwich) was the center of Burger King's 1985 'Where's Herb?' advertising campaign, which encouraged people to try to find him (similar to Waldo).
- "His chin looks like a Parker House roll!"
A Parker House roll is a half-oval-shaped bread roll invented at the Parker House Hotel in Boston.
- "Bon voyage!" "Charlie Brown!"
"Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (And Don't Come Back!)" was a 1980 animated film featuring characters from the Peanuts comic strip.
- "Conrad Pooh and his inflatable knees."
- "Mary had a little lamb..."
Servo is riffing on the poor quality of the audio from Super Dragon's pocket tape recorder by imitating the first phonograph recording (including static), which was Thomas Edison slowly reciting the popular nursery rhyme.
- "One word, Ben: plastics."
- "I've got some lupins!"
A reference to the 'Dennis Moore ' sketches from Monty Python's Flying Circus. John Cleese plays a misguided highwayman (also prone to digression) who, instead of stealing valuables, robs coach passengers of their flowers, which he gives to the poor. The poor are soon less than appreciative.
- "Oh boy, this has all the markings of a Clay Shaw party!"
New Orleans businessman Clay Shaw was accused of conspiracy in connection with John F. Kennedy's assassination. His trial ended in aquittal.
- "I'm comin', Elizabeth!"
Phrase often said by Fred Sanford (Redd Foxx) while faking a heart attack on the TV series "Sanford and Son".
- "I hope this isn't like a John Waters film where they lick all the furniture."
Pink Flamingos is the movie directed by John Waters in which the furniture-licking happens.
- "Picture Picture's showin' us Holland."
A reference to the show Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood: Picture Picture was a framed picture on the wall of Mr. Rogers' house that could "come alive" and show movies when he asked it to. The reference is mostly suggested by the tinkling music under the scene.
- "Oh, no, Madame Sousatzka was here."
Madame Sousatzka is a drama about a young man caught between his mother and his Russian music teacher, the eponymous Madame Sousatzka.
- "Mr Ross, who owns the bowling alley on Marlboro Street." "Oh, where the flavor is."
"Come to where the flavor is" was an advertising campaign slogan for Marlboro cigarettes (the ads typically referred to Marlboro Country).
- "Oh, Oscar, Oscar, Oscar!"
The Odd Couple was a comedy about Oscar and Felix, two divorced men living together, one of whom is very messy (Crow utters the line when an unmade bed appears in the movie) and the other a fussy neat freak who constantly remonstrates him for it.
- "Only to find Gideon's Bible."
Joel is quoting the Beatles' song Rocky Raccoon, which in turn is referencing Gideons International, an evangelical group whose primary mission is distributing Bibles for free. They were especially known for leaving them in hotel rooms.
- Commerically released on DVD by Rhino in October 2007 as part of The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 12, a 4-DVD set with The Rebel Set, and The Starfighters, and Parts: The Clonus Horror.
- The DVD features a trailer for the original film as well as The Mystery Science Theater Hour Jack Perkins wraps for this episode, the DVD packaging incorrectly stating The Rebel Set has wraps based on it instead.
|preceded by: Season 4||MST3K Season 5||followed by: Season 6|
|1993 - 1994|
|501||Warrior of the Lost World||1993-07-24||509||The Girl in Lovers Lane||1993-09-18||517||Beginning of the End||1993-11-25|
|502||Hercules||1993-07-17||510||The Painted Hills||1993-09-26||518||The Atomic Brain||1993-12-04|
|504||Secret Agent Super Dragon||1993-08-07||512||Mitchell||1993-10-23||520||Radar Secret Service||1993-12-18|
|505||The Magic Voyage of Sinbad||1993-08-14||513||The Brain That Wouldn't Die||1993-10-30||521||Santa Claus||1993-12-24|
|506||Eegah||1993-08-28||514||Teen-Age Strangler||1993-11-07||522||Teen-Age Crime Wave||1994-01-15|
|507||I Accuse My Parents||1993-09-04||515||The Wild Wild World of Batwoman||1993-11-13||523||Village of the Giants||1994-01-22|
|508||Operation Double 007||1993-09-11||516||Alien from L.A.||1993-11-20||524||12 to the Moon||1994-02-05|