|801 - Revenge of the Creature|
|Air Date||February 1, 1997|
|MST3K Director||Jim Mallon|
|Movie Director||Jack Arnold|
|Cast|| John Agar|
|Preceded by||706 - Laserblast|
|Followed by||802 - The Leech Woman|
|“||GOWNS! There's gonna be gowns in this movie!||”|
Having previously survived being riddled with bullets, the Gill-man is captured and sent to the Ocean Harbor Oceanarium in Florida, where he is studied by animal psychologist Professor Clete Ferguson (John Agar) andichthyology student Helen Dobson (Lori Nelson).Helen and Clete quickly begin to fall in love, much to the chagrin of Joe Hayes (John Bromfield), the Gill-man's keeper. The Gill-man takes an instant liking to Helen, which severely hampers Professor Ferguson's efforts to communicate with him. Ultimately, the Gill-man escapes from his tank, killing Joe in the process, and flees to the open ocean.Unable to stop thinking about Helen, the Gill-man soon begins to stalk her and Ferguson, ultimately abducting her from a seaside restaurant where the two are at a party. Clete tries to give chase, but the Gill-man escapes to the water with his captive. Clete and police arrive and when the creature surfaces, police riddle his body with bullets and Clete saves Helen.
- Look for a young, uncredited Clint Eastwood in his first screen appearance as the goofy white-coated lab assistant who does the silly mouse gag in the lab scene with the monkey. 
- You might recognize one of the two young men who, near the end of the movie, see Helen lying unconscious on a riverbank, go to investigate, and get killed by the Gill Man. One of those guys is Bix Dugan from The Girl in Lovers Lane.
Prologue: After 500 years of being pure energy at the end of the universe, Mike, Tom, Gypsy, Cambot, and Magic Voice are forcibly teleported to the SOL. Crow is already there and was bored of being pure energy after the first 5 minutes. But he seems different somehow and doesn't remember Mike. Suddenly, the SOL is about to crash into the Earth. Mike is able to avoid a collision, but horror awaits when Mike and the bots contact Earth and a talking ape answers!Segment One: After lots of screaming, Professor Bobo and Dr. Peanut explain that Earth is "a planet where apes evolved from men". Bobo then sends a bad movie to the SOL crew because, oddly enough, it's "Ape Law".
Segment Two: Tom and Mike try to repair the SOL’s engines with a little help from the Nanites. Crow still seems different somehow, and Mike can't let it go.
Segment Three: An angry Star Wars-esque alien demands to speak to Servo, who has been dealing contraband vanilla pudding.
Segment Four: Crow may be different, but at least he knows how to make a nice cup of espresso.
Segment Five: The bots have tracked down information of Mike’s descendants, and they learn that virtually all of Mike's descendants intermarried with apes. Mike denies it, but no one believes him. Then they learn who The Lawgiver is - Pearl Forrester! She reveals that she never got around to raising Clayton Forrester (who transformed into a baby in the previous episode) better than last time, so she smothered him with a pillow and had herself cryogenically frozen.
Stinger: John Agar swims softly and carries a big bull prod.
- Dr. Peanut: Michael J. Nelson
- Wade the Nanite: Kevin Murphy
- Ned the Nanite: Paul Chaplin
- Phil the Alien: Bill Corbett
- Deep Ape Extras: Jim Mallon, Paul Chaplin, Bill Corbett
- Bill Corbett's first appearance as Crow T. Robot.
- Kevin Murphy's first appearance as Professor Bobo.
- Bobo and company's headquarters went unnamed on-screen, but was called "Deep Ape" by the crew.
- During segment one, Tom says, “jerking around must have cause a flameout,” a line from This Island Earth.
- When the "music supervision" credit comes up and some familiar-sounding organ music is heard:
- Servo: "Pfft...yeah, great supervision: Gimme a needle-drop on some This Island Earth music."
- The Creature feels the need to snap an alligator in half to impress people.
- Clete's repeated declarations of his own handsomeness.
- The Long List of celebrities supposedly appearing in "A Tributary to the Upper Amazon".
- Crow: "...with Edna St. Vincent Millay and Topo Gi-"
- Mike: "It's over."
Quotes & References
- "Heir to the legacy of Godo, Bogo, and Chim-Chim."
Chim-Chim was the name of Speed Racer's pet chimpanzee.
- "¿Qué? Is difficult."
The catchphrase of Andrew Sachs's character Manuel, on the show "Fawlty Towers".
- "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Creature."
A reference to the British sitcom The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.
- "Boo Radley, Herald-Tribune!"
Arthur "Boo" Radley was the infamous recluse in the Harper Lee novel To Kill a Mockingbird.
- (a barracuda swims by in the aquarium tank) "dundadadundadadundadadaDAAA....me!"
A reference to the song "Barracuda" by Heart.
- "Yes, the gloves are off and the benches are clear! He's got Magnuson's jersey over his head!!"
Keith Magnuson was defenceman for the Chicago Black Hawks. The riff here plays off the tussle between Clete and The Creature and how it looks like one of the many hockey fights Magnuson would get into during his career.
- "One of the Kingston Trio!"
The Kingston Trio is an American folk/pop music group that gained popularity in the '50s and '60s with tunes such as "Tom Dooley" and "Charlie on the M.T.A.".
- "And the John Birch Society meeting comes to an abrupt end!"
The John Birch Society is an extreme right-wing American political organization.
- "Now at Sears, Jeanne Kirkpatrick lingerie."
Jeane Kirkpatrick was the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations during the first term of Ronald Reagan's presidency.
- "So THAT'S what happened to Soyuz 7!"
- "Show me the way to go home..."
In Jaws, this is the song the three men sing while sitting around the table on the boat.
- "Esther Williams didn't age too well."
Esther Williams was an Olympic swimmer who went on to star in a series of surprisingly popular swimming-themed movies (known as "aquamusicals").
- "Luca Brasi sleeps with us!"
Luca Brasi is a fictional character in both the novel The Godfather and the film of the same name. In the story, Brasi is murdered by a rival crime family who then dump his body in the ocean. Don Corleone learns of Brasi's death when he receives two dead fish wrapped in a bulletproof vest - a message to Corleone that "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes".
- "This is NOT Greg Norman."
Greg Norman is an Australian professional golfer who spent 331 weeks at the top of the Official World Golf Rankings during the 1980s and 1990s. He acquired the nickname "The Great White Shark" (often shortened to simply "The Shark") due to his height, blonde hair and aggressive play style.
- "Dammit Jim, I'm a milkman, not a doctor!"
Servo references a phrase (albeit in reverse) often used by Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy from the TV series Star Trek. The specific reference to a "milkman" was also used in the parody song Star Trekkin'.
- [After Professor Bobo explains to Mike and the Bots that they are in the future, human civilization has perished and apes rule the world]
- Mike [as George Taylor]: A planet where apes evolved from men?
- Professor Bobo: Well, it's maybe a little more complicated than that but, that is the rough outline, yes.
- Mike [as George Taylor]: You did it! You finally did it!
- Professor Bobo: [apathetic] "...Damn us all to Hell". Yes, yes.
- Mike [as George Taylor]: It's a madhouse! A...
- Professor Bobo: ...madhouse. I know!
- [The intrepid explorers explode dynamite all over the lagoon to stun the Creature into surfacing.]
- Servo: Ah, ha-ha! The Charlton Heston Fish Locator.
- Servo: Think anybody at the Rockefeller Foundation questioned the dynamite line-item?
- [The Gill Man makes his somewhat grand appearance, swimming through the lagoon.]
- Mike [as The Gill Man]: [In time with the dramatic music] Here I am! I'm the Creature!
- Servo: Boy, Esther Williams didn't age well.
- [A young Clint Eastwood has a cameo.]
- Crow: This guy's bad. This is his first and last movie.
- [Trainer Miss Abbott is working with a chimp named Neil.]
- Miss Abbott: Now, turn around, Neil. Turn around. Turn around. Sit down. All — right.
- Servo [as Miss Abbott]: And... evolve.
- [Spectators watch as the Gill-Man is brought into the Ocean Harbor aquarium.]
- Crow [as a New Yorker]: Does he got a thing?
- [As the attempts to revive the creature at the aquarium drag on.]
- Crow: Everybody's drifting over to the "World of Barnacles" exhibit.
- [Flippy the porpoise performing for the audience.]
- Announcer: And now presenting Flippy, the "Educated Porpoise."
- Mike [as Flippy]: I do NOT accept my "Slave Name!"
- [Scientists Clete and Helen are testing the Gill-Man's intelligence, which for some reason involves the liberal use of a cattle prod.]
- Servo: Jeez, the Mengele Institute for Marine Research!
- [As the deputized posse closes in on the Creature, the police captain radios his men.]
- Police Captain: Remember your instructions. The professor is in command from now on. You take orders from him!
- Mike [as Police Captain]: The Ichthyology Department of the State U has declared martial law!
- Commercially released on DVD by Shout Factory in December 2012 as part of The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 25, a 4-DVD set with Robot Holocaust, Operation Double 007, and Kitten with a Whip.
|preceded by: Season 7||MST3K Season 8||followed by: Season 9|
|801||Revenge of the Creature||1997-02-01||809||I Was a Teenage Werewolf||1997-04-19||817||The Horror of Party Beach||1997-08-16|
|802||The Leech Woman||1997-02-08||810||The Giant Spider Invasion||1997-05-31||818||Devil Doll||1997-10-04|
|803||The Mole People||1997-02-15||811||Parts: The Clonus Horror||1997-06-07||819||Invasion of the Neptune Men||1997-10-11|
|804||The Deadly Mantis||1997-02-22||812||The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies||1997-06-14||820||Space Mutiny||1997-11-07|
|805||The Thing That Couldn't Die||1997-03-01||813||Jack Frost||1997-07-12||821||Time Chasers||1997-11-22|
|806||The Undead||1997-03-08||814||Riding with Death||1997-07-19||822||Overdrawn at the Memory Bank||1997-12-06|
|807||Terror from the Year 5000||1997-03-15||815||Agent for H.A.R.M.||1997-08-02|
|808||The She-Creature||1997-04-05||816||Prince of Space||1997-08-16|