According to RiffTrax.com: "Never make the mistake of thinking that Over the Top is just an arm-wrestling picture. Oh, there's arm wrestling, all right – more arm wrestling than an 8th grade study hall. But there's also a truck. And a kid. And a whole lot of arm wrestling! And just wait till you hear the shocking secret behind Sylvester Stallone's signature "turning the hat backward" move. (Hint: it has something to do with arm wrestling!) And there's arm wrestling! And if you're really good, maybe there'll be a Kenny Loggins song at key points in the movie. (And arm wrestling)" 
- "Font courtesy of Van Halen's first album."
Referring to the self titled album Van Halen.
- "Do I detect the Micheal Bolton-esque song stylings of Frank Stallone?"
- "The cast of Taps is attempting a hostile takeover."
Taps is a 1981 film about military cadets seizing control of their academy's campus to prevent its demolition.
- "James Brubaker, huh? So this is a crappy 80's movie made by guys with the names of other crappy movies from the 80's? It's an interesting concept."
- "Just saw the Menendez brothers in the crowd there."
Lyle and Erik Menendez were convicted for the 1989 murders of their parents.