|“||Underwater fights are like the drum solos of movies.||”|
|911 - Devil Fish|
|Air Date||August 15, 1998|
|MST3K Director||Michael J. Nelson|
|AKA|| Shark Rosso nell'oceano;|
Red Shark in the Ocean
|Movie Director||Lamberto Bava aka John Old Jr.|
|Cast||Michael Sopkiw, Valentine Monnier, Gianni Garko, William Berger|
|Preceded by||910 - The Final Sacrifice|
|Followed by||912 - The Screaming Skull|
A French-Italian co-production which tells the tale of a "shark with tentacles" that is terrorizing the waters off the Southern Florida coast. For reasons that are never fully explained, it turns out that the "Devil Fish" was genetically engineered by researchers at the World Oceanic Institute in order to protect the oceans from being exploited, which would somehow bring about a massive rise in profits for the organization. 
As Pearl noted, it features many Italians pretending to be Floridians.
One scene of this film contains a brief glimpse of a male character's genitals, which the Sci-Fi Channel censored by superimposing the MST3K logo. And like all the R-rated movies shown on the show, there were two key death scenes removed due to being impossible to edit.
This movie is one of many where the premise is taken from another, more successful film. This time the source material was Jaws, which would become a RiffTrax production years later.
- The film's director, Lamberto Bava (under the pseudonym John Old Jr.) is the son of famed Italian director Mario Bava, whose 1968 film Diabolik! was later featured in Season 10.
- The original, uncut version of the movie (titled Monster Shark) features considerably more violence, but is much more coherently edited.
- Major Movie Goof - The "marine paleontologist" in the movie isn't very good at her profession as evidenced by her lecture (in which she misidentifies a present-day basking shark as an extinct marine reptile named Tylosaurus, along with other errors).
- During the commercial promoting this episode on the Sci Fi Channel, the clip of agitated dolphins was shown while Tom screams "Dolphins won the Super Bowl! Yaaaayyyy!!". The year before the release of Devil Fish, the Miami Dolphins went to the Super Bowl but lost. The year after Devil Fish was released, the Dolphins lost another Super Bowl. The Dolphins haven't won a Super Bowl since Super Bowl VIII (See The Final Sacrifice and the numerous Larry Csonka references alluding to this). It's also a callback to the running "Packers won the Super Bowl!" gag used in The Giant Spider Invasion.
- Opening Scene: Mike has an identity crisis, thinking that some government agency has erased it; it turns out that he lost his wallet.
- Segment One: Pearl has to convince a couple that the castle is a cruise ship because Bobo forgot to tell her he took 2500 reservations when their number was mistakenly put in an ad for a cruise. She has the crew make ice sculptures: Crow uses four cubes to make Michelangelo's David; Tom puts his in a drink; and Mike tries to weld his.
- Segment Two: When the crew make fun of dolphins and their intelligence, some dolphins attack them in a space ship until they apologize.
- Segment Three: An electrician shows up to repair some stuff. Mike, Crow and Tom taunt him too based on a character's wisecrack from the movie, until the dolphins come back; seems that after this movie came out, electricians made a deal with dolphins to protect each other. Mike apologizes.
- Segment Four: Because the couple don't understand what the crew does, Pearl tries to make them more Italian. It works until Bobo and Pearl mess with the filter, and it turns the crew into a dangerous stereotype.
- Segment Five: Bobo is too busy eating to hear when the couple asks about something on the ship; when Pearl whacks him on the head to get his attention, he goes nuts and she has to tranquilize him. Observer, meanwhile, does his best impression of Isaac Washington from The Love Boat. He points a lot.
- Stinger: Janet: 'It's right underneath us!' Peter: "I knooow!"
Quotes & References
- "Bebe Rebozo's home movies!"
Charles "Bebe" Rebozo was a Floridian businessman and personal friend of Richard Nixon's, who often took him on fishing excursions in his boat.
- "Aw poor Robert Shaw. Eaten again!"
- "Same picture of Mark Spitz, even."
Mark Spitz was an Olympic swimmer.
- "Devil Fish: The Story of Aleister Crappie!"
- "Hey, temp workers!"
Dolphin Staffing is a temporary office staffing service based in Minneapolis.
- "Don't say/Things you're gonna regret..."
A lyric from the Alan Parsons Project song "Eye in the Sky".
- "Too much time on my hands..."
The chorus from the Styx song "Too Much Time on My Hands"
- "I've located a Gary Wright song."
The sound that the piece of equipment makes sounds vaguely like the synths at the beginning of Wright's song "Dream Weaver."
- "Is that Fab or Rob?"
Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus made up the disgraced pop duo Milli Vanilli.
- "You colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow is 'enuf'!"
A reference to the play For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf.
- "I'm listening to Shonen Knife!"
Shonen Knife is an all-female Japanese rock band.
- "Kick, punch, it's all in the mind."
Referring to a lyric in the video game Parappa the Rapper.
- "I can't believe I directed 'North'!
North was a critically panned 1994 movie directed by Rob Reiner, whom the character resembles.
- "What's that?" "Kraftwerk."
Kraftwerk is a pioneering electronic music group from Germany.
- "Dolphins win the Super Bowl! Yaaaaay!"
A callback to the "Packers win the Super Bowl! Woooo!" bit from "The Giant Spider Invasion ."
- "Didn't she star in 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'?"
Mike is comparing the female lead's appearance to the character of Jack Skellington in the movie.
- "I got the Amiga working!"
- "This guy dubbed by J. Peterman?"
J. Peterman is a retail and fashion company that does most of its sales through catalogs. The riff here however is based on the infamous "I knoooowww!" line. This is more an allusion to a fictional portrayal of the company's owner on Seinfeld; Jacopo Peterman.
- "I'm going to try and put him to sleep!" "I'm going to read him something from Joan Didion."
Joan Didion is an American author and literary journalist.
- "What's going on? I say hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey..."
A reference to the song "What's Going On?" by 4 Non Blondes.
- "Now it's '10' as rewritten by Terrence McNally!"
10 was a feature film directed by Blake Edwards, best known for its scene of actress Bo Derek walking out of the water onto the beach in a tight wet bathing suit. Playwright Terrence McNally is known for exploring gay issues in his works.
- "Please, Francisco Franco died quicker!"
- "The Ox-Fish Incident!"
The Ox-Bow Incident is a Western novel in which three innocent men are accused of cattle rustling and lynched.
- "B-baby, we ain't seen nothin' yet, over"
- "Southern Man, gonna EAT YOUR HEAD!"
- "Someone threw a match on the Cuyahoga River!"
- "You know, I don't need Neil Young 'round, anyhow."
- "You know, that door isn't even red, and I want to paint it black."
A reference to the first line of the Rolling Stones song "Paint It Black", which is "I see a red door and I want it painted black.
- "Ed Wood's octopus scene was a lot more convincing than this."
A reference to an infamous prop in Ed Wood's movie Bride of the Monster, a mechanical octopus with a motor that didn't actually run, forcing the actors to sort of flop around in the water as they held its tentacles to themselves.
- "Get your flame-throwers out, grab a stick of Juicy Fruit!"
Juicy Fruit is a brand of chewing gum. During the 1980s, Juicy Fruit TV commercials would begin with a jingle similar to the one Mike made up based on whatever activity the commercial depicted, such as water-skiing.
- "Janet?" "Oh, I forgot, I'm nasty..Miss Jackson!"
Fro this line in in the song "Nasty" by Janet Jackson: "No, my first name ain't baby/It's Janet/Miss Jackson if you're nasty."
- [The film's title is shown.]
- Servo: The story of Aleister Crappie!
- [Mike and the bots react when one of Peter's testicles slips out of his shorts.]
- Crow: WHOA!
- Mike: INCOMING!!
- [Peter then joins the rest of the crew.]
- Crow[As Peter]: Heh heh...I "Hung one out" for fun!
- [Bob and Peter see their rival following them.]
- Peter: It's West! Think he's after "our friend?"
- Bob: Oh I wouldn't put it past him. He's very ambitious! He'd sit on his own mother's face if he had anything to gain by it!
- Crow: "Hot Image" Bob!
- [Coming aboard the Seaquarium, Stella and Peter are looking for Dr. Janet.]
- Peter: Janet! Janet!
- Servo [as Peter]: Oh, sorry, I forgot. I'm nasty, Miss Jackson!
- [Mad scientist Dr. Davis, armed with a gun, confronts WOI head Dr. West.]
- Dr. Davis: Anyone who has the chance to tap the enormous reserves of the sea… will have the future, Doctor.
- Dr. West: In his hands.
- Dr. Davis: Exactly.
- Crow [as Davis]: Yeah, thanks for helping me out there.
- [Several squads of locals have volunteered to help the police and Coast Guard track down and burn the Devil Fish, while Peter acts as bait. They pour pink-tinted gasoline in the water.]
- Crow [as Sheriff Gordon]: Deploy the Countrytime Pink Lemonade!
- Servo: I bet they hired every nature-hating psycho in Dade County.
- [Shot of skinny woman in bikini on raft]
- Servo: See the Human Lady!
- [That night, the squads are still looking for the Devil Fish.]
- Sheriff Gordon: Squad number one. Report in.
- Squad Member: Squad number one, Sheriff. Ain't seen nothing yet.
- Crow [as Squad Member]: B-b-b-baby, we ain't seen n-n-nothing yet, over.
- . . .
- Sheriff Gordon: Squad number two. Squad number two!
- Servo [as dead squad member]: We done been et, over!
- . . .
- Sheriff Gordon: Squad number two. Squad number two!
- Crow: Oh, they'll be number two soon enough.
- . . .
- [The rednecks of Squad Number Two become a light snack for the Devil Fish.]
- Servo [as Devil Fish]: [singing to Neil Young's "Southern Man"] Southern man, gonna eat your head!
- . . .
- [The Sheriff and the other squads arrive and again pour gasoline into the water.]
- Crow: Well, this should take care of every living thing in the Everglades.
- . . .
- [The squads are playing flamethrowers over the gasoline, cooking the Devil Fish.]
- Servo [as Sheriff]: Okay, now, throw in the diced onions and celery and chopped porcini mushrooms!
- Crow: Does the Coast Guard have a lot of use for flamethrowers?
- . . .
- [Close up of burning water.]
- Mike: Eww, someone threw a match on the Cuyahoga River.