|406 - Attack of the Giant Leeches|
|Air Date||July 18, 1992|
|AKA|| Attack of the Blood Leeches;|
Demons of the Swamp (UK);
She Demons of the Swamp
|Movie Director||Bernard L. Kowalski|
|Cast||Ken Clark, Yvette Vickers, Jan Shepard, Michael Emmet, Bruno VeSota, Gene Roth|
|Short||Undersea Kingdom, Episode 1: Beneath the Ocean Floor|
|Preceded by||405 - Being from Another Planet|
|Followed by||407 - The Killer Shrews|
|“|| Clowns are raining down. |
Hear the screams of the greasepaint!
DANGER! Clown Puddles.
That was a really nice haiku, Tom Servo
|— Tom and Joel|
Brilliant scientist Professor Norton, a plucky gal reporter named Diana, the professor’s stowaway son Billy, and heroic Navy lieutenant Crash Corrigan take off to investigate mysterious undersea earthquakes in the professor’s rocket-powered submarine.
Hundreds of leagues beneath the sea, they find the kingdom of Atlantis, the source of the seismic waves. The comparatively advanced undersea society has television, robots, and armored cars (though for the most part, they ride horses, fight with swords, and wear skimpy tunics and silly hats).
It is this same technological know-how that has caused the Atlanteans to damage the Earth’s surface. Crash and his friends learn that the seismic activity is just a side effect of Atlantis' real problem: a rebellion led by the odious Unga Khan.
After local moonshine-swilling trapper Lem Sawyer (George Cisar) sees a giant creature, people start disappearing. While searching for illegal traps, game warden Steve Benton (Clark) and his girlfriend Nan Greyson (Shepard) find Lem dying with giant sucker wounds on his body. An adulterous couple, Liz Walker (Vickers) and Cal Moulton (Emmet), are forced into the water by her enraged husband Dave (Bruno VeSota) and get taken by the leeches. Soon after, two more trappers disappear and Benton gets involved. He and Nan's father, Dr. Greyson (Tyler McVey), realize that the people were taken by the leeches and that the leeches live in caves under the swamp. Using dynamite, the four missing bodies are discovered and the leeches are destroyed.
- Stretched out by the divers’ air tanks, the giant leech costumes split during production; that’s why we only get to see fleeting glimpses of the creatures.
- According to director Bernard L. Kowalski, producer Gene Corman didn't want to pay the technicians the extra money for pushing the camera raft while they were filming in the Pasadena Arboretum in the water, so he put on a bathing suit and did it himself.
- The music score for this film was a stock score used previously in the film Night of the Blood Beast, also produced by Gene Corman, brother of Roger Corman.
- The giant leeches are played by actors in sack-like suits made of thin black plastic and complete with fake "suckers" sewn on.
- The actor Gene Roth appears as the sheriff. He also played a similar character in Earth vs. the Spider.
Segment One (Invention Exchange): Tom performs a clown haiku. Dr. F and Frank demo Patches the Leech as a cure for smoking to get around FDA regulations. Joel and the Bots show their Insty-Adolescent Kit, making Servo feel quite awkward.
Segment Two: Crow was affected by the short a bit more than he thought. This leads into a discussion about what they'd wear to take over the world, what overwrought plot they'd use to complete their goal, and how they'd make the world pay. Dr. F effectively proves Joel's point.
Segment Three: The SOL crew takes a coffee break and discusses how the movie compares to the weird dreams they've had. Crow still has Billy.
Segment Four: Based on the backwoods hillbillies from the movie, the crew performs the song, "A Danger to Myself And Others".
Segment Five: Joel and the Bots try to understand the motives of the leeches. Joel: "I think they just went on killing and killing until it was all about killing and it wasn’t about fun anymore." They then read a letter. Billy is still present. Meanwhile in Deep 13, Patches has been sucking on Frank a bit too long.
Stinger: Perched on a window, little Billy has a psychotic episode.
- Paul Chaplin loves this movie, and is quoted as saying "It's got an intensity about it that I admire."
- "Behold, Sub-Mariner, prince of the sea!"
Joel is quoting one of the theme songs from The Marvel Super Heroes.
- "Look! He's being followed by Michael Nesmith!"/"Did you know my mom invented Liquid Paper?"
Michael Nesmith (singer/songwriter and member of the Monkees, usually identified by his large sideburns and wool cap) is indeed the son of the inventor of Liquid Paper, Bette Nesmith Graham.
- "Looks like rush hour at Spaghetti Junction!"
"Spaghetti Junction" is a nickname for an interchange between Interstate 35E and Interstate 94 in downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota. Also, there is an interchange between Interstates 285 and 85 known as "Spaghetti Junction" just north of Atlanta, GA.
- "Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby..."
The heavily-repeated sage advice from the 1974 Hues Corporation disco hit.
- "Xanadu, stately underwater home of Charles Foster Kane...!"
- "I am the god of hellfire!"
- "It's a Denver Pyle statue!"
- "Mayor Dinkins just ain't cuttin' it, is he?"
David Dinkins was mayor of New York City at the time this episode first aired.
- "Gray Lady Down for Contel!"
- "Billy Bathtub, what a terrible movie."
A reference to the poorly-received 1991 gangster movie Billy Bathgate which features Dustin Hoffman as gangster Dutch Schultz. (It also features a scene with Nicole Kidman in a state of undress.)
- "I knew Colonel Kurtz was close...he was real close."
A reference to Marlon Brando's character in Apocalypse Now.
- "Get him girls, he hit Buddy!"
- "A man called Humbert Humbert wants to see me..."
Humbert Humbert was the lust-stricken literary scholar in Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita.
- "We now join 'Fitzcarraldo', already in progress."
Fitzcarraldo was a 1982 film directed by Werner Herzog about a man that transports a large steamer ship over land to cross a mountain in Peru.
- "Oh great, they're letting Jay North lead the pack here!
- "Answer unclear, ask again."
This is a call to the greatest fortune-telling device of all time, the Magic 8 Ball.
- "Regular Nina Totenberg, isn't she?"
Nina Totenberg is an American legal affairs correspondent for National Public Radio.
- "Then I dated David Soul for a while..."
Actor David Soul, of Starsky & Hutch fame (he was the blond guy), has been married five times. His third wife left him due to his alcoholism and violent temper.
- "Don't ever get off the boat."
General advice from the film Apocalypse Now .
- "No, they're Scientologists!"
Leeches are annelids. Scientologists are members of a group founded by science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard. Some find their belief system (which they identify as a religious organization) to be questionable.
- "It's the star of Ralph Bellamy, Ralph Bellamy, Ralph Bellamy."
Movie, stage and TV actor Ralph Bellamy resembled the cranky cigar-chomping sheriff. Bellamy's career lasted from 1931 to 1990 and included helping found the Screen Actors Guild. (Gene Roth, the sheriff, also had a long career playing heavies in Westerns, Three Stooges shorts, and several films directed by Bert I. Gordon.)
- Commercially released on DVD by Rhino in October 2004 as part of The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 6, a 4-DVD set with Teenagers from Outer Space, Gunslinger, and Mr. B's Lost Shorts.
|preceded by: Season 3||MST3K Season 4||followed by: Season 5|
|1992 - 1993|
|401||Space Travelers||1992-06-06||409||The Indestructible Man||1992-08-15||417||Crash of Moons||1992-11-28|
|402||The Giant Gila Monster||1992-06-13||410||Hercules Against the Moon Men||1992-08-22||418||Attack of the the Eye Creatures||1992-12-05|
|403||City Limits||1992-06-20||411||The Magic Sword||1992-08-29||419||The Rebel Set||1992-12-12|
|404||Teenagers from Outer Space||1992-06-27||412||Hercules and the Captive Women||1992-09-12||420||The Human Duplicators||1992-12-26|
|405||Being from Another Planet||1992-07-24||413||Manhunt in Space||1992-09-19||421||Monster A-Go Go||1993-01-09|
|406||Attack of the Giant Leeches||1992-07-18||414||Tormented||1992-09-26||422||The Day the Earth Froze||1993-01-16|
|407||The Killer Shrews||1992-07-25||415||The Beatniks||1992-11-25||423||Bride of the Monster||1993-01-23|
|408||Hercules Unchained||1992-08-01||416||Fire Maidens of Outer Space||1992-11-16||424||Manos: The Hands of Fate||1993-01-30|